Friday, July 20, 2007

Butterflies...

Wow, it's been a while since I posted! It's summer, I'm working two jobs, and trying to figure out this thesis stuff all at the same time! What I've been i[ to since school got out in regards to my thesis: I met with Mike Cushney (sp?) and we talked about my project for a long time. Basically I feel like I have to redo our previz semester, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels like this. I was at a dead and, and what I ended up with in May was not really what I was trying to come up with in January. I've talked with a bunch of writers and met someone who was a script writer in NYC, and had also gotten bitten, twice, by a Black Widow Spider! And for the real catcher, his name is Joe, which was the original name of my character! I thought he should definitely write my script. He's done a couple of drafts for me, and we're working together to get the right balance of medical terminology and entertaining narration. By reworking my script with a professional, I'm reworking my story. When we finally get the script where we want it, I'll redo my storyboards and animatic. This is what I'm thinking right now: I don't want to shoot live video. I don't have experience doing it, it's not what I'm trying to show in my thesis, and I will probably never need to do it again. Therefore, my challenge is, how do I tell my story without it? What I've come up with is a sequence of still images. I'd shoot a bunch of digital photographs of an actor, and then I'd pan over them, and move them in and out of the frame. My main focus is going to be the modeling and animation going on INSIDE the human body, so I don't want to focus on the outside as much. It will almost be like a film strip, where you have one still image, that image gets smaller and moves to the upper left side of the screen, then another still image fills the screen, and then that one moves to the left side under the first one, and it keeps going like this, so you have past images on the left side of the screen in a vertical way, and the new images keep popping up and filling the screen in order to tell the story, along with the narration. My writer is actually writing about his experience, which is actually very similar to my original idea. I'm not sure if this makes any sense without graphics to accompany it, so hopefully within the next couple of weeks I'll have an animatic to share with you. Until then, any comments would be helpful and greatly appreciated! I hope you're all having a great summer!

1 comment:

claire said...

Wow, that's so cool! About your Joe. I can't wait to see what you end up with!